Every traveler knows the feeling. You’re in an amazing place, surrounded by breathtaking scenery. But there’s one problem: you don’t have anyone to take a picture of you! Asking a stranger to take your photo can be awkward, but it’s worth it to get that perfect shot. Here are a few tips on how to do it.
5 Simple steps to get them to say YES!
1. Be assertive but not pushy. Remember, you’re asking for a favor, so it’s important to be polite. Smile and make eye contact with the person you’re asking, and try to gauge whether or not they seem open to the idea before you even ask. If they look busy or like they’re in a hurry, it’s probably best to leave them be.
2. Keep it brief. No one wants to be bothered with a long explanation of why you need their help. Just say something along the lines of, “Excuse me, would you mind taking our picture?”
3. Offer to return the favor. A lot of people are hesitant to take photos for strangers because they don’t want their own picture taken without permission. Reassure them by offering to take their picture as well once you’re done. This also helps build rapport and makes the whole interaction less awkward overall.
4. Be prepared. Have your camera ready to go before you approach someone, and make sure all your settings are configured correctly. That way, once they say yes, you can hand over the camera and have them start taking pictures right away while you pose.
5. Say thank you! This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to remember manners when asking for such a big favor from a complete stranger. So once they hand back your camera (or phone), make sure to say thank you and wish them a great day.
These simple tips will help ensure you get the perfect picture—without making things too uncomfortable for either party involved! So next time you’re on vacation and need a photographer, don’t be afraid to ask a stranger for help. Chances are, they’ll be more than happy to oblige—and you might even make a new friend in the process!